Some members of the Duval High School community suffer severe allergies to aerosol sprays or perfumes that can act as a trigger to an (often) serious asthma attack, or bring on a severe migraine in a sensitive individual. The allergy can be sufficiently serious to put a student into anaphylactic shock if an aerosol has been used anywhere in the student's vicinity. This can be a life-threatening situation resulting in the student being transported to hospital in an ambulance.
- Aerosols are banned from school premises, excursions, sporting events and all events where students are in confined spaces.
- Students are encouraged to follow correct hygiene procedures by applying deodorant at home after showering: a good deodorant will last all day if applied to clean skin before dressing.
- Roll on and stick deodorants are permitted at school.
- right to a safe learning environment
- responsibility for the health and safety of others in their shared spaces