Older News  » Education tax refund

Last updated 10:56 AM on 15 September 2011

Parents and caregivers are encouraged to keep their receipts from education related expenses to take advantage of a federal government tax initiative.

The Education Tax Refund (ETR) gives you refunds of 50% on a range of primary and secondary school education expenses.

You can receive refunds up to a maximum of $397 per primary school student and $794 per secondary school student.

Items you can claim

You can claim the cost of buying, establishing, repairing and maintaining any of the following items:

  • home computers and laptops
  • computer-related equipment, such as printers, USB flash drives and disability aids to assist in the use of computer equipment for students with special needs
  • computer repairs
  • home internet connections
  • computer software for educational use
  • school textbooks and other printed learning material, including prescribed textbooks, associated learning materials, study guides and stationery
  • prescribed trade tools for secondary school trade courses.

Items you can't claim

The types of items you can't claim include:

  • school uniform expenses (though uniforms purchased after 1 July 2011 will be claimable in the 2011-12 financial year)
  • school fees
  • sporting equipment
  • musical instruments.

See the Education Tax Refund website for a full list of items you can't claim.

You can claim the ETR if you have eligible education expenses and receive Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part A for the child that the expenses relate to.

You may also claim the ETR if you don't receive FTB Part A because your child receives certain payments or allowances, including:

  • Youth Allowance
  • Disability Support Pension
  • ABSTUDY Living Allowance
  • the Veterans' Children Education Scheme
  • Student Financial Supplement Scheme
  • the scheme to provide education and training under s258 of the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004.

For more information, including details of how you can claim the refund, visit the Education Tax Refund website.